With apologies for the legalese, which pains us as much as it pains you, but it’s a necessary evil. All Lanes Health Clubs members (“Members”), guests and those periodically visiting (together “you”) a Lanes Health Club must comply with these rules. These rules are incorporated into a Member’s Contract with us, and compliance with them is important both to maintain the standards at our club and to enable members to get the most from their membership. Anyone who does not comply with these rules may be ejected from, or denied access to, the club or may have their membership terminated by Lanes Health Clubs if the non-compliance is serious. We reserve the right to make reasonable amendments to these rules at any time. If we do this, we will give members reasonable advance notice by placing the new rules on a notice board at the club. In these rules “Lanes Health Clubs”, “us”, “we” or “our” means Lanes Health Clubs trading through any Lanes Health Clubs group company. Words and phrases in these rules have the same meanings as given in our Membership Terms & Conditions, unless specified otherwise.
1. Acceptance of an application for membership at each club is at our absolute discretion (although we will exercise our discretion reasonably and in compliance with applicable laws).
2. Membership entitles members to use the facilities available from time-to-time at their home club (in the case of there being more than one club).
3. You should contact the club if you would like further details of different types of Lanes Health Clubs memberships. Each category of membership has different restrictions, conditions and benefits.
MEMBERSHIP CARD AND RFID
4. A membership card will be issued to each member when they join the club and if we are using RFID technology a RFID wristband will be issued.
5. There is a fee of £5 for replacement of lost, stolen or damaged cards or RFID wristbands.
6. Each member must have his/her card swiped for security and verification on each visit to the club. Any member attending the club without a valid membership card may be asked for proof of identification.
7. A member must not lend his membership card or RFID wristband to anyone else as membership is personal and covers only the member’s use of a Club.
8. On termination of membership, for any reason, the member is required to surrender his membership card and (where applicable) TGS key and RFID wristband to Lanes Health Clubs.
9. Where Lanes Health Clubs terminates a member’s membership, this will make the member ineligible for membership at all Lanes Health Clubs. For this purpose Lanes Health Clubs will communicate such member’s personal data, and reason for termination, to other clubs as may be necessary to administer this rule.
GUESTS AND VISITORS
10. Members (over the age of 18) may bring guests to the club provided (a) the guest pays a guest fee, as set out in the club price list current at the time of the guest’s visit and (b) the guest completes a Pre-Activity Questionnaire or Health Commitment Statement as requested by us.
11. Members must accompany their guest at all times, and the Member who brings the guest remains responsible for their guest’s conduct whilst they are in the club. The Member may not leave that club prior to their guest’s departure.
12. Persons who have applied for membership but have been rejected, and some former members of staff, may be ineligible to be a member or guest. If in doubt, the member should check with the club’s management.
13. A member who has “frozen” his/her membership will not be allowed access to the club (including as a guest).
14. Members must ensure their guests pay the appropriate guest fee, or surrender a valid guest pass (if applicable), before accompanying them into a club.
15. Members must ensure their guests comply with these rules.
16. A person may be allowed to enter as a visitor to the club by prior arrangement or appointment, subject to Lanes Health Clubs’ absolute discretion, and may be required to pay the guest fee (as set out in the relevant club price list). At all times, visitors must complete a Pre-Activity Questionnaire or Health Commitment Statement as requested by us.
17. Opening times for the club will be prominently displayed.
18. Pool, spa, sauna and steam facilities will close 15 minutes before the advertised closing time to allow members time to change. All other facilities (including the gym floor) will remain open until the advertised closing time.
19. You may not bring pets (other than guide dogs) onto the club premises.
20. If the swimming pool or gymnasium at your club is not available for more than 7 consecutive days in a row you can ask for a credit against your membership fees for the period that the facility is not available ( if you pay monthly) or an extension to your 12 month commitment period if this applies.
21. We reserve the right to use any individual or group photographs or movie shots of you for press or promotional purposes. However, where reasonably possible, we will ask you to sign a use of image rights form (a “Lanes Health Clubs photography reproduction authorisation form”) to consent to this usage.
22. You must not consume any food or drink in the club that has been purchased outside the club.
3. We reserve the right to show potential members and other individuals the facilities of the club on a trial basis.
24. You must complete a Pre-Activity Questionnaire or Health Commitment Statement as requested by us before using any fitness facilities.
25. You should seek instruction before using unfamiliar equipment.
26. Appropriate clean exercise clothing and shoes must be worn whilst exercising.
27. Gymnasium equipment must not be used for longer than 15 minutes during busy periods.
28. You are asked to wipe down gymnasium equipment after use.
29. You are asked to arrive at the gymnasium 5 minutes prior to any personal training or induction appointments. We reserve the right to refuse to re-book an appointment for you if you repeatedly cancel (with less than 24 hours’ notice) or fail to keep an appointment for services and/or exercise programmes.
30. You may not use the gymnasium while under the influence of alcohol, anticoagulants, antihistamines, beta-blockers, narcotics, tranquilisers or any medication or other substance that may affect your ability to exercise safely.
31. Please refer to our class booking rules page for a full overview of our booking and cancellation policy ( http://laneshealthclubs.co.uk/booking-rules/) .
32. Class timetables and instructors are subject to change from time-to-time without notice.
33. You are requested not to open the doors while a class is in progress, as this may interfere with the operation of the air-conditioning system and disrupt other participants.
34. In order to avoid disturbing classes, you are requested to arrive in good time. Entrance to classes will be barred to anyone arriving more than 5 minutes late.
35. Where, in the opinion of an instructor, a class is overcrowded the instructor may restrict the number of attendees in the class.
36. An instructor may, at any time, ask a member to leave a class if they are jeopardising the safety or enjoyment of others.
37. We reserve the right to limit individual participation to one exercise class per day.
BEHAVIOUR & DRESS
38. Members should conduct themselves in a quiet and well-mannered fashion when in or about the club. In particular members may not use foul, loud or abusive language, nor will they behave in a threatening manner, nor will they molest or harass other members, guests, visitors or members of staff. Members may not bring, use or be under the influence of illegal drugs in any part of the club. Members may not bring intoxicating liquor into the club or be drunk in the club.
39. We may terminate a Lanes Health Clubs Membership (if applicable) and may refuse entry into the club, or eject a member from a Club, if they commit a serious or repeated breach of these rules or engage in any other serious misconduct.
40. Complaints should be communicated privately to a member of the club’s management, or in writing through the suggestion/comments boxes provided in the club, or by post to the club’s Operations Director.
41. Smoking is prohibited in any area of the club including the use of e-cigarettes or similar devices.
42. Members must be dressed in suitable attire at all times when on club premises, and appropriate exercise clothing is required whilst exercising in the club. Guidance as to suitable attire may be obtained from the club Operations Director who may, at his/her discretion, require a member to leave the club premises, or part of the club premises, if their attire is not considered suitable.
43. Only one individual is permitted in a shower cubicle at any one time.
44. Members are respectfully requested to store coats and rucksacks in the lockers provided.
45. Lockers are provided subject to availability. Lanes Health Clubs does not undertake that the use of a locker will guarantee that no theft of or damage to your property will occur. We will not accept any liability in relation to locker thefts unless they result from our negligence. You should check that your household contents or other insurance policy protects you against any risk of theft.
46. Lockers may only be used for the purposes of keeping gym kit, toiletries and the clothing you were wearing when you came to the club. The keeping of any other items in the club’s lockers is prohibited. If Lanes Health Clubs has reasonable grounds to suspect that a locker is being used in breach of this rule, Lanes Health Clubs reserves the right to open the locker in question (by force if necessary) and remove any offending items.
47. With the exception of any designated private lockers, lockers are available for use only while you are on the club’s premises. Use of a locker (other than any designated private lockers) while not on Club premises is prohibited. If you leave your belongings overnight in a locker (other than in any designated private locker), Lanes Health Clubs reserves the right to open the locker (by force if necessary) and remove your belongings.
48. Your belongings, so removed, will be available for collection from the club’s reception for a period of 30 days, upon payment of the prevailing holding charge. If you do not collect your belongings within 30 days your belongings may be donated to charity.
49. If the rental fees in respect of a locker remain unpaid for more than 1 month after the date due for payment, Lanes Health Clubs reserves the right to open the locker (by force if necessary) and remove your belongings. Your belongings, so removed, will be available for collection from the club’s reception for a period of 30 days upon payment of the unpaid fees. If you do not collect your belongings within 30 days your belongings may be donated to charity.
50. Locker keys must not be taken from the club’s premises at any time.
SWIMMING POOL AND SPA AREA
51. For reasons of health, safety and hygiene you must: (a) obey the instructions of our lifeguards. (b) always shower before entering the sauna, steam room, jacuzzi or swimming pool. (c) not consume, store or bring into the changing rooms or swimming pool area, any food or drink. (d) only shave in the wash basins provided. (e) not attempt to dry clothes or towels in the sauna. (f) not bring sauna oils or essences, cosmetic products, newspapers, magazines, books or other flammable materials into the sauna. (g) not bring oils or essences to the steam room.
52. The club’s management reserves the right to limit you to 20 minutes in the swimming pool if it is busy.
53. You must (a) wear long hair tied up or in a swimming cap whilst in the swimming pool (b) not run around, jump or dive into the swimming pool (c) comply with any swimming direction posted in the swimming pool area (d) wear appropriate swimwear only. Swimwear that covers large areas of the body (including burkinis and full body swimsuits) is permitted provided the safety of the swimmer is not compromised.
54. No balls, floats or inflatables are permitted in the swimming pool area other than those provided by the club. Buoyancy aids are permitted.
55. The swimming pool areas may from time-to-time be reserved for swimmers only or swimming lessons.
56. Heads should never be submerged in the jacuzzi.
57. You may not use the saunas, steam rooms or jacuzzi while under the influence of alcohol, anticoagulants, antihistamines, beta-blockers, narcotics or tranquillisers. If you have high or low blood pressure, heart disease, cardiac irregularities, asthma and/or diabetes or if you are pregnant, you should consult your doctor prior to using the club facilities.
58. You should use the steam room, sauna, swimming pool and jacuzzi (where applicable) in moderation and under medical advice. 59. When using the steam room and/or sauna you are requested to wear swimming attire.
HEALTH & SAFETY
60. You must use the main entrance to the club when entering or leaving.
61. Fire exits, which are clearly marked, are there in the interests of safety and you must not interfere with fire doors for any reason.
62. You must read the health & safety notices posted outside any equipment or facility rooms in the club and comply with their recommendations.
63. You must comply with any reasonable requests made by members of staff in relation to matters of health and safety.