We are a group of leisure industry veterans. Fed up with the traditional hard body fitness image we decided to make a difference to the health and wellbeing of everyone. How? By creating a club that specialises in meaningful exercise based on movement and function. Or to put it another way, we’re a club that prioritises your wellbeing – and works with you to create an individual exercise programme, whatever your age, shape or goals.
Tennis pro and entrepreneur Chris Lane builds a tennis and health club in Woking, Surrey in the 1980’s. It’s rated by many as one of the best clubs the UK has ever seen – largely because of its passionate commitment to delivering legendary customer care. Eventually Chris sells that club to David Lloyd Leisure and heads for the beach.
Was that the end? Not quite. As it turns out, there’s only so much surfing and golf a man can handle, so Chris decides to do what he does best and gets back into the club business.
Instead of the usual gym cliché, Chris decided to focus on delivering a superior all-round health and wellbeing experience to an adult-only market. That means changing the current exercise paradigm and programming for what grown ups need. He buys the Virgin Active club in Rustington, West Sussex and Lanes Health Clubs is born.
1. We’re a club not a facility. We’re a community. We know we’re doing it right when our members feel that our club is an important part of their lives.
2. We’re a club for grown ups. Across the world, there aren’t many health clubs doing what we do.
3. We do stuff that matters. When people are diagnosed with life-changing illnesses (like Parkinson’s or diabetes or cancer) they need to get the right kind of exercise into their lives. They may not always be able to afford it, so we will subsidise classes in order to help them. That matters to us.
4. We’re owner-operated. That means we get to focus on delivering outstanding customer care.
5. We care. Wherever you cut that stick of rock called ‘Lanes’ it will say ‘we care’. From the quality of the loo paper to the ‘goodbye’ when you leave each time – we care.
Monday – Friday: 6:00am – 10pm
Saturday – Sunday: 8am – 8pm
Bank Holidays: 8am – 8pm